Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cookie Creativity

Growing up, my dad taught my sisters and me how to make cookies. However, living in the fast-paced society that is now called the modern world, he showed us a shortcut. That shortcut was to make cookies out of a cake mix. I mean, you cannot get much easier than mixing a quarter cup of oil, quarter cup of water, one egg, a cake mix of course, and any other enhancements you deem worthy of being in YOUR cookie.

My personal favorite is a yellow cake mix cookie with chocolate and peanut butter chips nestled within. However, this year I have been trying to break away from my simple minded ways and concoct something new and inventive. Sometimes, when in pursuit of something of this nature, it is best to walk through the aisles of your local grocery store and let your mind wander. Which, this is EXACTLY what I did. This past summer I created the hit sensation and ever-so-popular Carrot Cake Cookie (to be blogged about later), but seeing as how spring and summer are just around the corner, I wanted to create a cookie with those seasons in mind. After my meanderings, I formulated a new creation!!! Pineapple Upside Down Cake Cookies!!!!!

First attempts going
into the oven.
Brown sugar and
butter sauce on
 top and bottom
First attempts coming
out of the oven.
A little flat.

I figured, why not bring the joys of this tasty cake into a nice handheld treat? So I decided that I was going to use a pineapple cake mix and incorporate crushed pineapple, and figure out a way to make that gooey, sugary sauce that melds the pineapple and cake together. So, here are a couple of pictures of my first attempt.






So, the result was a little flat as you can see, due to using too much pineapple juice (I substituted it for the water), and they were a bit too artificial tasting due to the pineapple cake mix. So, in my second attempt, I definitely tweaked the recipe. I used a french vanilla cake mix, doubled my amount of crushed pineapple, reduced my amount of pineapple juice, and only put my butter and brown sugar mix on the top. And with those slight changes and a change in name, the result was much more desirable and beautiful for the second attempt at making Pineapple Upside UP Cookies!

Second attempt heading into
be baked.
So, take your cue from me, and go and create yourself a new cake mix cookie. Go ahead! Do not be afraid to let your cookie creativity ensue!
 
Second attempt fresh
out of the oven!
Mmm... Caramelized brown sugar
and butter!

1 comment:

  1. These little darlings were delicious - that caramelized brown sugar and butter is delish!

    ReplyDelete