Friday, March 11, 2011

Mix-it-to-it: The Lyrimusica Project

One of my favorite ways to express myself is through music. I have grown up singing, playing piano, creating music, and now even have a degree in music education. Ever since I discovered that you could record music on your computer, I fell in love with being able to create music by layering my voice (shout out to Karen Carpenter for being one of my biggest inspirations to record in this manner). Starting out with that wonderful program "Sound Recorder," and floating through various other recording programs as time has passed, I have now graduated to "GarageBand." I do not have a professional recording studio by any means, but the tools that I do have work for what I need at the moment.

So, I know this may be premature in the whole blogging scene, but I have decided to go ahead and have my readers (although this most likely is only a few people) participate in a project. A competition so-to-speak. This afternoon, I was in the mood to record something after having this nonsense, tribal sound coming out of my mouth all afternoon. I put it to good use, and started to layer one musical phrase on top of another. However, I felt it needed lyrics, but once again, when I TRIED to think of lyrics, they would not come.

Here is where YOU all come in to play! My challenge to you is to participate in what I am calling The Lyrimusica Project. I want you to see if you can come up with some lyrics to go with the vocal accompaniment that I have already created. The lyrics do not need to be extensive as it is only a one minute long song. It has an African, tribal feel to it. You do not have to write the melody for your lyrics, just the words. I will do the rest. Below is a video with the music, and also includes the guidelines. Please send your entries to the email address on the video, and NOT on the comment feed (Do comment though on what you think of this post). Who knows? For the winner, I might even have a small prize...  Enjoy! Have Fun! and here's a chance to let your 'Creativity Ensue!'



P.S. I forgot to mention that Imogen Heap is also an inspiration in recording things like this. Not to mention, I had the great opportunity to sing back-up with her in an acapella group called the Beltones from Belmont University in the summer of 2010 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN

1 comment:

  1. I have extended the deadline for the Lyrimusica Project! The new deadline is Wednesday, March 23, 2011. Keep submitting!!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete